Lower Thames Crossing: what might be the final consultation begins tomorrow
Lower Thames Crossing. Consultations. We’ve been here before, right?
Well, yes, the build-up to the potential building of the new road does seem to have been around a long time, but the next consultation is, we suspect, likely to be the last before National Highways resubmits its plans.
The Local Refinement Consultation begins tomorrow (Thursday, May 12) and ends on Monday, June 20.
If this is indeed to be the final consultation, we would urge all interested to make their views known.
NH says the consultation gives “giving local communities the chance to have their say on some refinements to the project”.
It adds: “The Local Refinement Consultation is taking place to share a number of updates made to the project based on feedback from a consultation in 2021, ongoing stakeholder engagement and technical surveys.
“Following feedback from Thurrock Council the project has also amended its plans for Tilbury Fields, a new public park on the north bank of the Thames, to make space for the planned Thames Freeport.”
Proposed refinements include:
- More public open space to the east of the tunnel entrance in Kent, connected to Chalk Park – the proposed new public park overlooking the Thames
- Additional environmental compensation and mitigation, with potential woodland and public access
- Replace a slip road on the A13 junction with a new link from the Orsett Cock roundabout to the A1089 to reduce traffic impacts on local roads
- Modifying the access to the northern tunnel portal, providing safer operation of the tunnel facilities and better access for emergency services
- A new footbridge over the A127 and further improvements for walkers, cyclists and horse-riders, including improved bridleways
- Further refinement of utility works to enable the project to be built
NH is holding a series of public information events:
Thursday, May 19 (2pm-8pm): The Civic Hall, Blackshots Lane, Grays RM16 2JU
Friday, May 27 (2pm-8pm): North Street Hall, 24 North Street, Hornchurch RM11 1QX
Monday, June 9 (2pm-8pm): East Thurrock Community Association, 77 Corringham Road, Stanford-le-Hope SS17 0NU
Tuesday, June 7 (2pm-8pm): Tilbury Community Association, Civic Square, Tilbury RM18 8AA
Monday, June 13 (2pm-8pm): Orsett Hall Hotel, Prince Charles Avenue, Orsett RM16 3HS
Friday, May 20 (2pm-8pm): Cascades Leisure Centre, Thong Lane, Gravesend DA12 4LG
Monday, May 23 (2pm-8pm): Village Hotel, Castle View, Forstal Road, Maidstone ME14 3AQ
Thursday, June 9 (2pm-8pm): Bridgewood Manor Hotel, near Bluebell Hill, Walderslade Woods, Chatham ME5 9AX
Friday, 10 June (2pm-8pm): Shorne Village Hall, 16 The Street, Shorne DA12 3EA