Verdict on Next distribution centre at Waltham Abbey deferred
A decision on whether to approve plans for a Next distribution centre at Waltham Abbey have been deferred by Epping Forest District Council.
It had been due to be referred for determination at today’s (Wednesday, January 22) district development management committee, but, “at the request of Next PLC” that won’t be happening as the council is still awaiting comments from Highways England.
Waltham Abbey Greens have been vocal in their criticism of the proposed centre, at Dowding Way. They say on their website:
“If approved the plans would see:
- hundreds of additional delivery vehicle journeys on our roads every day
- loss of habitat for protected and endangered species
- staff coming into and out of Waltham Abbey putting extra strain on our roads and infrastructure
- a likely impact on the value of nearby homes
- further building on the green belt
“Next.plc have said that the distribution centre will be good for jobs and the local economy. Although we need more jobs in Waltham Abbey there is no guarantee that they will go to local people – just look at the Sainsbury’s depot where many, maybe the majority, of the staff are brought in from out of town.”